Zero Waste is a sustainability approach that aims to reduce the amount of waste produced by individuals and society as a whole. The goal of zero waste is to create a circular economy where resources are kept in use for as long as possible and waste is minimized.
Zero Waste is not just about recycling, but it encompasses a wider range of actions including:
- Refusing single-use products and packaging.
- Reducing overall consumption of goods and resources.
- Reusing and repairing items to extend their lifespan.
- Recycling materials that cannot be avoided or reused.
- Composting food and other organic waste to return nutrients to the soil.
By adopting a Zero Waste approach, individuals and communities can reduce their impact on the environment and conserve natural resources. It can also help to minimize the amount of waste sent to landfills, which can contribute to air and water pollution and greenhouse gas emissions.